You may think you are a good person. I don’t doubt it but only by comparison to other people. Compared to God, you are not a good person. Let’s take a look at some of the standards God set forth for mankind, also known as the Ten Commandments.
- Have no other gods but God.
- Do not worship statues.
- Be careful with God’s name. (Only when you are talking to or specifically about God with reverence—never saying OMG or using the Savior’s Name as a cuss word.)
- Remember the Sabbath. (Rest from work and dedicate the day to worship).
- Honor your father and mother (yes both of them).
- Do not murder.
- Keep your marriage vows (all of them.)
- Do not steal (not even a pen).
- Do not lie (even little lies).
- Do not covet (or wrongly desire what belongs to someone else).
Even if you kept some of these, you did not keep all of them perfectly. Even if you did, there are many more wrongdoings that qualify as sins. Even knowing the right thing to do in a circumstance and failing to do it is a sin according to God.
Yet somehow Jesus kept every commandment perfectly. How? Because He is the Son of God. The good news is He died to pay for your sins and the sins of the whole world. If you die, please don’t try to justify your sins by saying “I’m a good person.” Your best bet is to simply say, “Jesus died for my sins.” In God’s eyes, Jesus is a good person.